Monday, November 19, 2012

Scary time

McKinlee was born with a blocked tear duct, as was McGuire, so we were somewhat aware of the symptoms.But her's was more dominate then McGuire's. It looked like it was bruising and hurt. At McKinlee's 1st dr. visit I had him check it out and we got the typical "It should clear on its own"
I wasn't satisfied with it.

So I went to Dr. Abrams (who performed McGuire's eye sx) He said the exact same thing. But to keep an eye on it and if it gets puffy again to let him know ASAP! SO i felt a lot better about the situation. But it still didn't seem right, her tear duct seemed like it was bruising her face.. I really didn't want anything to happen to my baby! So I kept a close eye on it (no PUN intended)

Not even 5 days later McKinlee was really fussy and seemed irritated from something, It was here eye. It was overly goopy and runny. It literally was like she was crying out eye boogers.. Then it got poofy, it was like someone had hit her in the eye and it was bruising. She was never super needy and clingy. That day she was, I knew something was up. So I made another appointment... He wasn't there in the office that day (of course) so the next day was our only option. So I took some pictures of her eye so there was evidence I wasn't going crazy...





As you can see, it looks SUPER painful!

Finally after a LONG night, we got to the Dr. Abrams. He and Dr. Larson consulted with each other and decided she needed to go the Hospital to have antibiotics via IV for at least 48 hours. He stated that this was an infection in her and it could be fatal if not treted immediately.
So I called Taylor BAWLING! I mean she is only 3 weeks old and to have to go back to the Hospital and be poked even more then she already had when she was born.
After a long afternoon of talking to Dr. Larson about the steps we are going to follow we headed to the Heber Hospital.
After the nurses tried to get this needle in McKinlee's tiny veins 4 times, Taylor and I decided to go to Primary Children's, where they had the knowledge and correct machinary for Newborns.

I was so glad we decided to do that. We had 5 doctors always on the clock for us. They were so informative and went the extra mile for her.
The Doctors explained that it was an infection that had evolved in the blocked tear duct, and they were going to run some blood tests and multiple cultures to get the correct Antibiotics.

After hours of hooking her up with Vital wires, getting the Iv in (in one try) and receiving the blood for the CBC. The pediatrician came to us and explained that her White Blood Cells were way elevated for a Newborn and they need to do a spinal tap to see if the infection had spread. Reason being, she is so small and fragile that the infection could spread to her brain and cause permanent damage, not only to her eye, but her brain as well!
I thought SPINAL TAP! She can't handle that, she's only 8 lbs and barely a month old!
They were very comforting and explained everything. They let me hold her arms and watch.. It was the HARDEST thing to hear and watch. Poor taylor tried to keep himself from hurting the doctors from doing it. But he did a great job handling himself.

After 36 hours of IV fluids going in the Eye dr came in and explained that the cyst in the eye is was is making the infection and that it needed to be removed. We were hesitant on it due to anesthesia being on such a small person, but they reassured us everything was going to be ok and that this procdure was a very common one. If we didn't do the surgery the infection WOULD come back even STRONGER.

Here's her before Surgery!




Surgery it was. Poor little lady is one heck of a strong girl. The Surgery was only an hour long and everything was successful! No scars, no stitches. Just a perfectly healthy baby!

We were discharged the next morning! Her month birthday we were headed home from Primary children's, happy one month birthday baby girl. Let me tell you, that is the scariest event ever in my life. I don't know what I would do if something horrible were to happen to one of my kids. We are so blessed to have the medicine that we have today, and all the talented dr's.


1 comment:

  1. That is so scary Stef :( But she is a strong girl just like her momma. I am so glad for all the modern medicine we have and that there are smart people out there who want take the time and energy to become doctors!

    ReplyDelete